Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Macadamia Macaroons



When daydreaming, my mind sometimes drifts to coconut desserts paired with nuts and chocolates.   I first made these cookies last year and brought some of the extras into the English department.  A professor tried one and sweetly described these as the non-fiction version of Marcel Proust's madeleine.  Needless to say, my heart was warmed.  

I wish I knew whether this dessert could magically spark memories of both time and loves (lost), but in lieu of promising you such an edible entity, I can supply such a song.  One of my own "madeleines," so to speak, has forever been Leonard Cohen's "Lady Midnight".  And while it can't kindle an olfactory memory, on a winter night, I love a pretty song paired with a whimsically warm coconut treat.   

Ingredients:
--1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
--1 bag (14 oz.) sweetened shredded coconut
--1/2 c. white chocolate pieces (yes, I love white chocolate)
--1/2 c. chopped macadamia nuts
--2 eggs whites, at room temperature
--pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  

In a medium bowl, combine egg whites and pinch of salt.  Beat the egg whites on high speed until they form medium-stiff peaks.  In a separate large bowl, combine coconut, sweetened condensed milk, white chocolate, and macadamia nuts.  Slowly fold in the stiffened egg whites (do not mix!).  

Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.  Using a 2-inch ice-cream scoop, place macaroon "scoops" approx. 1/2 inch apart on the parchment-lined baking sheets (I usually place 8 scoops per sheet--the recipe makes 16 macaroons).  Bake for 30 minutes, or until the tops are toasted. 

Allow to cool.  Enjoy warm or chilled (I recommend sampling both!). 




No comments:

Post a Comment