Sunday, April 22, 2012

Carousel Cupcakes

I told my students I'd bake them an end-of-semester treat, and they requested "funfetti" cupcakes.  They wanted cupcakes from a box mix?! No chance.  So I made my own version of the Pillsbury popular favorite using "carousel" sprinkles.  (As a kid, I loved these sprinkles, and if I'm being honest, I still do!)  So, what's so special about my version besides the rainbow sprinkles?  These are vanilla pudding pound cake cupcakes with a honey buttercream icing.  Far better than "from the box"!

And what song might go with these "Spring Semester's Over" cupcakes?  Of course, Alice Cooper's "School's Out!"

Vanilla Pudding:
*When I made these cupcakes, I substituted the sour cream that's typically in pound cake recipes for a fresh vanilla pudding--extra sweet and creamy!
--2 c. whole milk
--1/2 c. granulated sugar
--3 tsp. vanilla extract
--1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise with seeds removed
--1 tbsp. butter
--pinch of salt

Over medium heat, heat the milk until just before boiling (little bubbles will begin to form at the edges).  In a separate bowl, combine sugar, salt, and cornstarch.  Whisk this into the milk a bit at a time until dissolved.  Continue cooking and whisking until the mixture thickens.  Then a the butter, vanilla extract, and vanilla bean seeds.  Remove from heat and allow to cool.

The Cake Batter:
*Adapted from The Curvy Carrot
--1 1/2 c. granulated sugar
--3 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
--8 large eggs (I like my cupcakes very dense and egg-y!)
--1 tbsp. vanilla extract
--4 c. cake flour
--1 tsp. baking powder
--pinch of salt
--2/3 c. vanilla pudding (make sure yours has cooled before adding it!)
--1/2 c. carousel sprinkles

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  

In a large bowl, combine the sugar and butter, and beat on medium speed until fluffy (about 5 minutes).  Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after the addition of each.  Then add the vanilla extract.  In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt.  On low speed, alternately add these dry ingredients and the vanilla pudding until all have been incorporated.  Finally, mix in the carousel (rainbow!) sprinkles.


Fill cupcake papers (in muffin trays) approx. 2/3 full.  (I use a medium-sized ice cream scoop for this.)  Bake for approx. 20 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean from center.  Allow to cool before icing. 

Honey Buttercream Icing:
*This is the same icing I used for my Pineapple Pistachio Cookies--it has many delicious uses!
--1/2 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
--1/4 c. pineapple juice
--1 c. confectioner's sugar, plus additional 1/2 c. for thickening
--1/4 c. heavy whipping cream
--2-3 tbsp. honey (depending on your taste for it!) 
--approx. 1/4 c. carousel sprinkles (for topping)

Using a hand mixer, beat together all ingredients.  Slowly add confectioner's sugar to thicken the icing until it has reached the desired consistency (I usually end up adding about another 1/8 to 1/4 cup, but you may like it even thicker).
Ice the tops of each of the cupcakes, and then top with rainbow sprinkles.  As one of my favorite holiday songs suggests, this is sure to be a favorite for kids from one to ninety-two! 

No comments:

Post a Comment