Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Italian Wedding Soup


It's still August, but strangely enough we've had a few chilly and rainy days in Virginia.  I love wedding soup (and had an amazing version of it at my brother's actual wedding several years ago), and this seemed like the perfect time to try it out in my kitchen.  

A traditional version of this soup usually consists of escarole wedded with meatballs made of beef and pork in a chicken stock, but I decided to go a slightly different route.  I substituted escarole for arugula (a peppery green that's a long-time favorite of mine) and made my meatballs with ground veal (turning them a bit lighter in flavor and color).   I also added ditalini, filling my broth with the pasta typically found in pasta e fagioli (another delicious soup!). 

As I mentioned, the meatballs in my version of this classic soup were a bit "whiter" in their wedding with the leafy green arugula.  And although "wedding" actually refers to the marrying of meat and vegetables in this broth-based soup, I can't help but give you the ever-cool Billy Idol's 1982 ultimate classic, "White Wedding." (Did I mention this music video features Billy Idol on a vintage motorcycle?)

Meatballs:
--1 lb. ground veal
--1 large egg
--1/2 c. freshly grated parmesan, plus extra for soup topping
--1/4 c. fresh parsley, chopped finely
--1/3 c. plain breadcrumbs
--1 garlic clove, minced finely
--2 tbsp. milk
--1-2 tsp. salt
--1-2 tsp. pepper
--1 small yellow onion, chopped finely
--3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil

[**You'll need to begin the soup base (below) before browning the meatballs.]

Mix all ingredients *except the onions and olive oil* in a bowl by hand and form into small balls, approx. 3/4" to 1" in diameter.  

 
In a saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat and sauté the onions until soft.  Add the meatballs and brown on all sides, approx. 7-8 minutes.  Add immediately to soup base.  Directions continue below.

Soup base:
--8 c. chicken broth
--2-3 c. chopped arugula (depending on taste--I prefer more of it!)
--1/2 lb. ditalini (or any small pasta that you prefer--you could easily substitute orzo or acini de pepe)

Bring chicken broth to a boil in a large stockpot and add arugula.  As soon as the meatballs are browned (above), add them to the stockpot.  Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 45 minutes to an hour, or until the meatballs are cooked through.  Once the meatballs have cooked through, add the ditalini and cook for 7-8 minutes, or just until pasta is al dente.  Serve with a sprinkling of freshly grated parmesan.

1 comment:

  1. I am famous!! I will have to try this if I remember, sounds great!

    ReplyDelete