Monday, November 26, 2012

Pumpkin Cheesecake


Thanks to Paula Deen for this amazing pumpkin cheesecake recipe.  It's easy, it's delicious, and it makes a lot of cheesecake!  I use my own version of a graham crust, but Paula's filling recipe can't be beat. 

Sometimes cheesecakes are a bit difficult to make: they crack in the oven, they sink when they cool, the cake isn't the right consistency . . . .  In fact, I've taken a few years to master some of the trickier cheesecake recipes out there.  This one is different.  It's perfect every time.  And one of the best things about it?  It makes *just* a little too much cheesecake for the pan.  So, I pour the extra into a ramekin (sans crust), bake it for about 30 minutes, then let it cool in the fridge with the larger cheesecake.  It makes a great midnight snack.

I've yet to use a Smashing Pumpkins song for a pumpkin-based recipe, and they're getting the shaft again here, I'm afraid.  I'll use one of their songs eventually, but in the meantime, here's the Chills' "Sweet Times."

Graham Crust Ingredients:
--2 c. cinnamon graham crackers
--1/2 stick butter, chopped
--1/4 c. dark brown sugar

In a food processor, pulse all ingredients until combined and sticking.  Spread into a spring-form pan and bake for 5-7 minutes at 350 degrees F, just to set.  Remove and allow to cool.

Pumpkin Cheesecake Filling:
*Courtesy of Paula Deen with just a few changes--thanks, Paula!
--3 (8 oz) packages cream cheese, at room temperature 
--1 (15 oz) can pure pumpkin puree (I use canned, but if you have freshly roasted pumpkin, you could go that extra step)
--3 large eggs, + 1 egg yolk
--1/4 c. sour cream
--1 1/2 c. granulated sugar
--1 tsp. ground cinnamon
--1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
--2 tbsp. flour
--1 tsp. vanilla extract

In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth.  Add the remaining ingredients and beat until smooth and creamy.  Pour into the crust and bake for 55 min to an hour, or just until the filling has set (if you wiggle the pan, it will look solid).  Allow to cool for 15 minutes, then cover with plastic and refrigerate overnight.  (Like I said previously, this make just a bit too much filling, but I've already told you what to do with the extra above.)  

 
Oh!  I also top mine with some homemade whipped cream.  See my rum whipped cream recipe here.  Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment