Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Peanut Butter Frozen Yogurt


I'm heading to the other side of the equator soon, where I'll be leaving the dog days of summer behind me.  It'll be winter in Argentina, so here's a summer swan song: delicious and creamy peanut butter frozen yogurt.

I bought an ice cream maker awhile back, and I don't use it enough.  However, I'm in love enough with frozen yogurt that I buy it on a very regular basis.  In other words, I should use my ice cream maker more often.  When you make your own desserts, the flavor combinations are nearly endless.  I love peanut butter, and I knew it would make for a delicious chilled treat.  And what's great about this recipe is that it doesn't even contain any sugar--all of the sweetness comes from the earthy agave syrup.  Making your own ice cream or frozen yogurt is incredibly easy, and it's always worth it.

Do you know the Doors' beautiful and sad "Indian Summer"?  It's stunning.  It was an outtake, more stripped down than most other songs from the band, and appeared on Morrison Hotel in 1970.

Ingredients:
--3/4 c. creamy peanut butter
--3 c. plain Greek yogurt (you can substitute for a non-Greek variety if you like your fro-yo less tangy)
--1/2 c. sweetened vanilla almond milk (again, you can substitute whatever milk you'd like)
--1/4 c. agave syrup (if you like your fro-yo super sweet, add more)
--1 tbsp. vanilla extract
--chopped peanuts for topping

Melt the peanut butter down until it's easier to whisk (I just placed mine in the microwave for about 35 seconds).  In a large bowl, whisk all of the ingredients together, except the peanuts, until creamy.

Pour the mixture into a prepared ice cream maker and turn it on.  Allow the ice cream maker to churn for 20-25 minutes, or until the fro-yo reaches the desired consistency.


*To use an ice cream maker, you have to plan waaaay in advance.  For most of them, you've gotta chill the churning bowl for 6-8 hours ahead of time.  But if you don't have an ice cream maker, you can still make this dessert.  Pour the whisked ingredients into a freezer-safe container and chill for about 1-2 hours, stirring occasionally.

Serve with a dusting of chopped peanuts (or, if you have it, some delicious chocolate syrup).

No comments:

Post a Comment